170 E. Jefferson Ave, Detroit, Michigan, USA

Built 1849; Calvin N. Otis, architect

[Moved from Woodward & Woodbridge to its present location in 1955; extensively altered]

“Browning Compass Window” designed and fabricated by the J. & R. Lamb Company of New Jersey; installed c.1959

Sources – Detroit Free Press, Aug. 10, 1849, pg. 3 and Jan. 21, 1955, pg. 1 + “Discovering Stained Glass in Detroit” Nola Huse Tutag with Lucy Hamilton [Wayne State University Press, 1987] pg. 76-77 + “AIA Detroit: The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture” Eric J. Hill & John Gallagher [Wayne State University Press, 2003] pg. 24-25 +

Dale Carlson

Dale Carlson grew up along the northeastern shores of Lake Michigan, where at a young age Detroit called out to him in his dreams. In 2008, after extended stays in ten different Michigan cities, the author settled permanently in southeast Oakland County where he currently lives and works in various capacities within the local real estate industry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *